Monday 7 December 2009

frankfurt xmas market

HO HO HO and a bottle of Rum!
Yes, a bottle of honey rum was what we bought at the market to take home with us. It was only a small bottle and it didn't last very long ;0) but damn it was yummy!!

We visited the famous Frankfurt Weihnachtsmarkt (xmas market) for the very last time, and it will be sadly missed. I love the place - it has such a buzz, even on a rainy day as we unexpectedly found on Saturday.
Hundreds? Thousands?? (hahaha) of festive stalls adorned with lights, hand crafts, glühwein, hot chocolate,  roasted chestnuts, waffles... (I could go on and on) are packed onto the old town square and surounds. I just can't get enough of it!







 We got there at 4pm just as the light was turning into night. We had glühwein with a shot of rum to warm up and then quickly went over to the stall where last year we saw the most beautiful puppets made of wood, and we are now the very proud owners of a gorgeous baby dragon!

He will be wrapped up for xmas but is also our 9 year (Jan '10) anniversary prezzie to ourselves. The owner of the stall makes all the puppets himself and told us that he only makes one of each, so our little dragon is a very special little lad. I'll add a pic of him after xmas :0)

The rest of the night was spent drinking more glühwein, sharing a small bag of the yummiest roasted 'heisse maronen' (hot chestnuts) and trying not to get soaking wet. We managed to accomplish this by cleverly going from one 'heisse getränke' (hot drinks) stall to the next, and at the end of it all I scored a much needed leather belt for only 5 EUR.









our favourite watering hole


What was said seconds before I snapped this shot:
"That was not what I meant when I said give her some sausage!"
(click on the pic to see their expressions)


cooking sausage the german way


very popular lebkuchenherzen (gingerbread hearts)



my chair


mr fluff showing some leg. so sexy.



roasting chestnuts YUMYUM



When we finally got the train home we saw a ticket inspector walk past us to the back of the train, and I spotted another at the other end. This was when Mr Fluff realised that we forgot to get a ticket for me. Luckily we had just stopped at a station and we quickly jumped off the train to get a ticket, because I'm not paying a 40 EUR fine!

Anyway, the next train was only due in half an hour, so we amused ourselves by dancing on the deserted platform. Mr Fluff did an excellent running in slo-mo dance and had me in stitches. He also showed me how to jiggy on the spot and had me in stitches. I in turn tried to teach him how to do the moon walk and again he had me in stitches - I nearly fell off the platform. Then we both did a synchronised 70's disco-type dance that had us both in stitches.

I wonder if there are any CCTV cameras on the platforms...

We made it home in one peace, and the flanimals were very, very happy to have us back, especially after enjoying a sugar coated nut or two. What a treat!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - those tables & chairs are just too weird!!!

    Cool to see all the pics though - thanks for the update :)

    ReplyDelete