Wednesday 27 January 2010

9th anniversary

Yesterday was a happy day - Mr Fluff and I celebrated 9 years of being married. This is quite the achievement! Especially as neither of us ever wanted to get married (or at least that was what we told ourselves).

It has been an interesting journey of adventure, discovery and growth. Soon after firmly tying the knot (legally only), we bode farewell to family and friends, boarded a plane to London (UK) armed with our suitcases stuffed full of clothing and small tokens of our past lives in the beautiful southern tip of Africa, and began our new life together. It wasn't always easy, but it was fun.

After 8 months in London, Mr Fluff whisked me away for a weekend in a surprise location. I had no idea what to expect especially as our South African passports did not give us much travelling freedom without having to apply for visas. As we arrived at the airport Mr Fluff pointed to the information screens and told me to guess where we were going. I had no idea, and then he told me... Switzerland! Wow. Switzerland in November = snow! What a treat!

We flew to Geneva and then took a train to Interlaken. From there we visited Gridelwald and built a snowman on the mountain. The snow froze my bell-bottom jeans and we rode the funicular back down the mountain with locals staring at my huge, frozen solid bell-bottoms! What a laugh.

After dinner that night we went for a stroll and stopped at the pond to watch the swans near the opposite shore. Next thing I know Mr Fluff takes me by the hand, turns me to face him, tells me not to laugh which of course I then did thinking "WTF is he doing now"?, proceeded to get down on his knee and out of nowhere produces a plastic bubble daisy ring (my favourite flower!) and asks me if I will marry him. While all this was happening the swans noticed us and started swimming towards us, obviously expecting a few morsels from the humans. All this was too much for me. Swans swimming towards us while Mr Fluff is proposing. I burst out laughing! Thankfully Mr Fluff saw the humour of it all and let me get on with it before insisting that I give him an answer. I said Yes, he placed the beautiful daisy ring on my finger, and I am convinced I was the happiest girl in Switzerland that night.

One year and a bit later we had the full fairytale wedding in South Africa, celebrating our happiness with family and friends.

After spending six years in London and getting Citizenship (the best thing ever!) we packed up and moved to Germany, and now after three years in Lederhosenland, we're moving on again. We still don't know where we will end up in April, but we like living life on the edge ;0)

Starting a new life in a new country removed from friends and almost all of our family, created a bond between us we never thought possible. We often comment on how lucky we are to have one another. We are equals, best mates, lovers... and find joy in everything we do together. Now we look forward to the next 90 years. Yip, we plan to live for a long, long time.

Happy anniversary to us xx


Here is a pic of the original engagement ring


And here some totally unrelated pics of recent snowfall viewed from our living room



No comments:

Post a Comment